The Castle of Montegiove rises on a hillside on the border between the old city-states Orvieto and Perugia and is one of the oldest historical mansions in Umbria.
Dating back to the period of the medieval city-republics (XII Century), it is one of the best kept castles of that age, in a perfect state of care and maintenance. Set in the glorious natural landscape of the Umbrian countryside, the Castle enjoys a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains and is at just a short distance from Rome and Florence.
The name of the castle originates from the existence of a Roman temple dedicated to “Jupiter elicius” proven by the discovery of two votive terracotta heads of the God.The construction of the castle itself was due to the efforts of the family Bulgarelli, the counts of Parrano and Marsciano, and took place sometime between 1278 and 1282. Through the centuries the castle changed ownership many times, becoming property of the family Monaldeschi della Vipera - quoted by Dante Alighieri in the Divine Comedy, and of mercenaries and their “condottieri”, like the famous Gattamelata. The castle has been owned since 1780 by the Marquises Misciattelli, who unified the ancient fief to the castle’s property, adapting it to agricultural purposes. At the end of the 19th century the property passed on to the Marquis Lorenzo Misciattelli who undertook a large scale restoration.