The Castle of Montegiove rises on a hillside on the border
between the old city-states Orvieto and Perugia and is one of
the oldest mansions in Umbria. It’s name originates from the
existence of a Roman temple dedicated to “Jupiter Elicius”
proven by the discovery of two votive terracotta heads of the
God. It’s construction was due to the efforts of the family
Bulgarelli, the counts of Marsciano, and took place between
1278 and 1282. Through the centuries the castle has been
home to famous figures such as the Blessed Angelina, the
Monaldeschi della Vipera and the warlord Gattamelata.
Since 1780 the castle has been property of the Marquises
Misciattelli, who unified the ancient fief and transformed it
into an agricultural estate.
HISTORY OF THE CASTLE